Mother of Divine Grace’s curriculum is a particular application of Laura Berquist’s recommendations in her book Designing Your Own Classical Curriculum. It is based upon the classical method which aims at establishing the tools of learning so that truth may be attained more easily and accurately. She has experimented with different materials and activities and has selected those that have been most successful. These have been incorporated in our syllabi. Thousands of parents and students have benefited from the structure and focus that the syllabi provide.
Learn more about the methodology implemented in Mother of Divine Grace School’s curriculum on our Methodology page. On the Overview of the Curriculum page we give a more detailed explanation of our program, with links to various articles embedded in the explanation. The articles expand on the ideas presented in summary on the overview page.
Check out the various grade levels to see Mother of Divine Grace School’s recommendations for the four stages of learning:
- Primary Stage (K-2nd)
- Grammatical Stage (3rd-5th)
- Dialectic Stage (6th-9th)
- Rhetorical Stage (10th-12th)
View a list of Mother of Divine Grace School’s recommended Syllabi.
Our curriculum is Catholic and classical. We have been careful to select the best sources available in all subject areas. All the books we recommend fit the classical methodology. For example, the books we have selected for middle school help the students to analyze what they read, and the books we have selected for high school help them develop skills in discussing reasonably and writing persuasively.
To find out more, please visit: http://motherofdivinegrace.org
Mother of Divine Grace School offers several programs to help families design and implement the curriculum that is most appropriate for their child by considering his learning style, his interests, and his needs, as well as the parent’s teaching style, resources, and interests. We have a Teacher Review Program (our main program) and three supplemental programs: Teacher Services, Learning Support, and the Special Services Program.
The Teacher Review Program is our main program. Families who enroll are paired with an Educational Consultant who will:
- Help them choose curricula appropriate to their own family’s talents and needs.
- Help them learn how to apply the classical method.
- Evaluate particular student assignments, utilizing our rubrics and helping the parent implement those rubrics in the home.
- Conduct three formal consultations per year in which she will review each student’s progress, suggest modifications, answer questions and provide support.
- Provide additional consultations if needed or desired (Note: additional fees may apply).
- Answer questions throughout the year via phone or e-mail.
For more information about this program please visit our Teacher Review Program page
Families in our Teacher Review Program may also take advantage of our supplemental programs: Teacher Services, the Learning Support Classes, and the Special Services Program.
Teacher Services is a supplement to our main program. Students who sign up for courses in our Teacher Services receive additional support from one of our teachers. Students work one-on-one with a teacher who will:
- Discuss texts and assignments with the student by phone and/or e-mail.
- Explain problem concepts and provide tips on how to improve work.
- Set goals for the student based on his current stage of intellectual formation.
- Provide deadlines for the student (if requested by the parent or student).
- Review and grade all papers and selected additional assignments.
For more information about this program please visit our Teacher Services page.
The Learning Support Classes are a supplement to our main program. Students who sign up for Learning Support classes participate in weekly (or in a few cases bi-weekly) classes conducted by one of our teachers via phone using the discussion method. Students particiate in a class with a teacher who will:
- Teach new concepts and review previous concepts
- Lead discussions among the students
- Challenge the students with pop quizzes or role playing assignments
- Provide structure and accountability
- Review and grade quizzes or papers (in most classes) and provide feedback on the quality of work
For more information about this program please visit our Learning Support Classes page.
The Special Services Program is a supplement to our main program for students with special needs. Families who sign a student up in our Special Services Program are paired with a Special Services Consultant who will:
- Provide them with the same consultation services as in our Teacher Review Program.
- Adapt the curricula to the student’s particular special needs.
- Provide additional consultations if needed or desired.
For more information about this program please visit our Special Services Program page.
Graduation Requirements: As a fully accredited private school Mother of Divine Grace School provides our graduates with diplomas and transcripts accepted by colleges throughout the United States. For more information about our graduation requirements, our recommended high school course of study, and college requirements please visit our Graduation Requirements page. For more information about the various high school graduation options available to special needs students, please visit our Special Services Program page.
Find out more at: http://motherofdivinegrace.org